Monday 4 July 2011

Bathing Belles!





















Having been invited to the South of France for a week in September I am having to think about poolside style for the first time in years – a Cornish Beach rarely requires such consideration – a comfy cossie and cosy cover up are where it’s at in Porthcurno! Have not been for a holiday in a hot country for so long I cannot quite recall when it was

In true Land Girl style I am thinking Forties Bathing Belle – Esther Williams is my style icon in this instance – and who better to reference on 4 July than America’s Mermaid as she was known! I am also going to be heavily influenced by The Darling Mermaid Darlings -for those of you who didn’t watch the axed show Pushing Daisies this will mean nothing I am afraid – let’s just say they were very glam and very retro poolside and their name sums them up!
I am finally going to be able to wear that Agent Provocateur Red and Black Polka Dot bikini I bought 3 years ago – hurrah – add to that some fabulous bathing suits worthy of Esther and I shall be good to go!

For classic retro style with a grown up attention to fit and performance ( Esther was after all an Olympic swimmer before becoming a movie star) Lands’ End have it covered – these are my favourite costumes – I have tried each of them and they are very flattering indeed..........





For more cutesy vintage style which might work better on an under 40 look at forluna.co.uk - there are some gorgeous printed costumes in this selection.

For genuine original pieces I will also be heading to Primrose Hill this weekend for the vintage fashion fair at Cecil Sharp House - 10th July from 11am until 5pm!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I love a cossie but I'd rather be Cindy Crawford in Calvin Klein that Esther Williams. Nice blog you have here (finally!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Pushing Daisies. Shame they didn't continue with it. I've just bought a black & white polka dot bikini - teeny weeny...
    That cosi looks very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://nurseybangbang.blogspot.com/2011/03/knitted-beachwear.html
    Do you think knitted swimwear will ever return...looks great...until it got wet!

    ReplyDelete